Saturday 26 July 2008

At Pwllheli

At Pwllheli


One day at last you'll find me,
like an smooth, worn stone,
shaped by the careless, constant sea
and polished by the years.

I shall lie easy then
on the bright, sea shore,
Rounded and even, cold and hard to touch,
one stone amongst the others.
Some days half-hidden by black sea-weed, corks and wood,
rocked by by the restless, raking tide
and glistening in the sun.

But today I'm still sharp-shouldered,
rough edged, angular.
Don't jag your gentle feet on me, you children,
where I lie wincing in the scraping shingle.

Another storm, another grinding tide,
another feature finished, another corner gone.
The waves come roaring in
and set the stones a-dancing;
the foam subsides,
they all go roaring back.

One day at last
you'll find me
like an old, worn stone,
shaped by the sea and the years.

No comments: